Published: 10 April 2018
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Category: Fantasy/Young Adult
Welcome to the City of Sin, where casino families reign, gangs infest the streets…
and secrets hide in every shadow.
Enne Salta was raised as a proper young lady, and no lady would willingly visit New Reynes, the so-called City of Sin. But when her mother goes missing, Enne must leave her finishing school—and her reputation—behind to follow her mother’s trail to the city where no one survives uncorrupted.
Frightened and alone, her only lead is a name: Levi Glaisyer. Unfortunately, Levi is not the gentleman she expected—he’s a street lord and a con man. Levi is also only one payment away from cleaning up a rapidly unraveling investment scam, so he doesn’t have time to investigate a woman leading a dangerous double life. Enne’s offer of compensation, however, could be the solution to all his problems.
Their search for clues leads them through glamorous casinos, illicit cabarets and into the clutches of a ruthless mafia donna. As Enne unearths an impossible secret about her past, Levi’s enemies catch up to them, ensnaring him in a vicious execution game where the players always lose. To save him, Enne will need to surrender herself to the city…
And she’ll need to play.
I’m feeling a list format for this week’s Waiting on Wednesday so let’s go:
- I got strong Gambit vibes from the card motif going on with the cover and he’s one of my favorite X-Men, so even though this book has about 0% chance of having X-Men in it, I’m curious.
- Where casino families reign…this sounds like a set up for an epic gangster story and I am here for that!
- Enne is supposed to be a proper young lady, but how many books have we had where that doesn’t mean squat? What’s her backstory? Does she have a secret she’s hiding? A better question is probably what secret is she hiding.
- A con man love interest. I don’t think he’s going to measure up to my personal favorite Bastard of the Barrel, but hey, I’m game. 😉
- If there’s not a damn good cabaret scene in here (it says illicit cabaret so…), I will riot, at least a little bit. *lol*